Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Spring Refresh Preparedness Planning
Contact SERVPRO of Bellevue West for emergency preparedness kit tips.
The beginning of a new Season is a great time to refresh and re-plan for the months ahead. We encourage making resolutions that will help you prepare for the unexpected curveballs that sometimes come our way. As this past year demonstrated, disasters come in many forms from viral pathogens to hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, storms and floods. How can we be more prepared?
Here are a few tips to get started:
1. Review your emergency kit and update. Refresh water and expired food. Check battery expiration and update documents. Add new supplies you may think will be useful.
2. Assess your finances and savings. Make sure you have funds to fall back on in case of emergency. Review annual budgeting and plan accordingly.
3. Considering getting involved in Community Preparedness. Join CERT- Community Emergency Response Team and consider taking a class. There may even been volunteer opportunities that will help you become more prepared.
4. Review your Plan and Communicate. Are your emergency contacts up to date? Do you have a back-up plan for a secondary place to shelter in case of emergency? Discuss options with you family members so everyone is aware. Communication is key in being prepared for the unexpected.
If you experience an unexpected emergency in your home or business call on SERVPRO of Bellevue West at 425-454-3900.
The Importance of First Aid and CPR Training
As emergency responders SERVPRO of Bellevue West experiences daily the importance of a rapid and efficient response. Life can change in a matter of minutes which is why we know the best way to expect the unexpected is to be prepared. What better way to celebrate preparedness than to certify our employees in CPR and First Aid training?
We teamed up with one of our favorite associations; PHCCWA (Plumbing Heating and Cooling Contractors of Washington) to host a CRP and First Aid class at our facility. Many of our association members and our team members attended to renew their certifications.
We think CRP and First Aid training is important in the work place for many reasons;
- Having trained employees can make a substantial difference in your ability to maintain a safe work environment. They will be able to respond more quickly and effectively when medical emergencies occur.
- This training and knowledge provides a sense of security and promotes a more confident work environment.
- As staff becomes more prepared and responsive – they also become more aware of their surroundings and more likely to spot potential hazards. This inspires a ‘safety culture’.
- 25% of all emergency room visits can be avoided with basic first aid and CPR certification.
- Safety precautions and preparedness applies to ANY industry of ANY size.
- There are many local resources that can help you get CPR and First Aid Certified such as The Red Cross or local Fire District.
Call SERVPRO of Bellevue West and speak to one of our Marketing Specialists to learn more about how you can be personally prepared; 425-454-3900
Importance of On-The-Job Training
Even when hiring someone that has experience in the Restoration Industry, on the job training is still a necessity. On the job training goes much farther than making sure your staff is trained for any job they might come across. On the job training ensures that everybody in the company understands what’s going on throughout every job and are up to the company’s standards.
Everybody being on the same page ensures that Restoration Technicians, Project Managers and all office personnel know what is happening, and therefore anyone can explain it to the clients.
Often, companies’ standards differ in some ways from the industry standards because the industry standards are set to just the necessities and SERVPRO of Bellevue West goes above and beyond. Employees being trained should understand why we do a job a certain way this will advance their career and further their abilities. Getting the job done isn’t good enough, getting the job done right and making sure that the problem will not arise again is the SERVPRO way. The more training that employees have means that your company can take on more expert level, higher paying jobs increasing revenue and our reputation. It also is a benefit for the employee because they will be smarter at their job, helping them make their job easier, and they can make more money with the more they know. Job training is so important to the success of the company, and it makes sure everybody is on the same page, doing the job right, all the time. Whether we are performing service for a commercial building or residential home, you can ensure the job will always be done correctly and efficiently. If you are interested in joining the SERVPRO of Bellevue West team call us at 425-454-3900.
SERVPRO of Bellevue West Hosts Effective Safety Meetings
OSHA requires that every employer make safety and health a top priority and ensure a safe working environment. OSHA's job is to provide leadership and encouragement to employers to take that responsibility seriously and provide educational or awareness opportunities to employees so they know of their rights to a safe workplace. It is important that every employee receive proper and adequate training to ensure they are able to safely and competently perform their jobs. This also applies to temporary, part-time and contract employees. Regular safety meetings should be documented and attendance should be recorded.
Employers have a duty to protect workers from injury and illness on the job by developing and implementing a safety and health program. According to OSHA, there are five components that every effective safety program should have.
- Management Leadership and Employee Participation
- Workplace Analysis
- Hazard Prevention and Control
- Safety and Health Training and Education
- Program Evaluation
In high risk industries like construction and restoration repeat safety discussions can have a positive impact on good habits that start in the office and are carried out on each and every jobsite. At SERVPRO of Bellevue West we hold weekly safety meetings for our team to make sure they are following the best protocols while servicing commercial and residential customers. To have a successful safety meeting we always follow these steps;
- Let your employees, crews, and teams know that you will be holding a safety meeting or starting a safety meeting program.
- Decide on the theme, subject, or topic of the safety meeting.
- Prepare for the safety meeting- use demonstration, photos and props
- Send out a reminder of the safety meeting the day before the meeting is scheduled to be held.
- Present the information clearly, with expectations and save time for questions
Several common safety topics that SERVPRO of Bellevue West reiterates are;
- Respiratory Protection and proper PPE
- Distracted Driving
- Handling Power Tools Safely
- Temperature Extremes
- Working in Confined spaces and on Ladders
- Asbestos and Lead Protocols
- Proper hazard reporting and handling
SERVPRO of Bellevue West Decontaminates COVID-19
If you need a COVID-19 Decontamination reach out to the professionals at SERVPRO of Bellevue West.
SERVPRO of Bellevue West professionals are here to help the local community and are trained in adhering to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards. If you have an office, restaurant or retail store that has a confirmed case of coronavirus we are Here to Help® get your building back to safe conditions.
SERVPRO is being called on by numerous businesses and community leaders to perform the necessary bioremediation services to clean, disinfect and sanitize their properties. All our cleanup practices are in accordance with the guidelines provided by the CDC and local authorities. If you are interested in inquiring about our services we are here to help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, while life gets back to normal in the communities we all call home.
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line meet this standard and carry the EPA-registered emerging pathogens claims.
Our SERVPRO of Bellevue West team can respond quickly and effectively to help minimize business interruption. We are uniquely prepared during this unprecedented time to clean and disinfect your home or business according to the protocols set forth by the CDC. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that a regular janitorial staff would perform. The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets, and tables at a minimum. These same surfaces are mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces.
SERVPRO of Bellevue West continues to help our communities and we encourage you to stay positive, safe and healthy during this difficult time. Please call us if you need assistance or if you have questions about decontamination at 425-454-3900.
The Hidden Value of Personal Protective Equipment
According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs, SAFETY is the second most important factor of life only behind basic survival needs. At SERVPRO of Bellevue West we take safety very seriously. When our employees feel safe and comfortable while working with or around possibly hazardous materials it is important to our success. When workers feel safe, they work harder, smarter and help us retain high skilled, hard-working talent in our company. Keeping these people within our company is an easy way to make sure that we have properly trained and certified workers that can help with every and any job.
Investing in proper Personal Protective Equipment can also create a great return on investment opportunity because we have the right tools for the job. It is a great opportunity to set us apart from other companies while recruiting new workers and customers. Proper Protective Equipment shows how seriously we take our job, always being prepared with our PPE bag shows professionalism and that we are up for anything the customer need, wants or throws our way. When realizing that safety is not just a human need, but a key motivator in the success of our company is when we start to see our company thriving. When breaking down the pros and cons of investing in top tier Personal Protective Equipment, the Pros of return on investment and safety far outweigh the cons of the initial price.
Dealing with possibly hazardous material can be a big turnoff to people when they apply for a job, but here at SERVPRO of Bellevue West we take all possible measures to make sure that everybody is always safe and is always comfortable. If you have questions about biohazard regulations in the State of Washington or if you have a biohazard cleaning issue call us for more information at 425-454-3900.
2019 Restoration Trend Predictions
The Restoration Industry has and will continue to change throughout the years as rules and regulations evolve. Below, our SERVPRO of Bellevue West team has researched and written some possible predictions for the restoration industry in 2019 based on industry trends. None of these are guaranteed, but only what experts think will continue/start to happen.
- Labor Shortages: There is a shortage of all positions in the Restoration Industry. It is incredibly hard to find highly skilled workers in any market. A lot of businesses are limited in growth because of their staff shortages.
- Weather Events Continue: There have been a record number of insured losses due to mother nature in the last couple years and that number will most likely will continue to rise. During times of catastrophic events restoration companies tend to be exposed and stretched short.
- Actionable Technology: As new technology continues to make our jobs easier, it will also help us keep costs down and help us provide better, more accurate estimates to our customers.
- Cost Inflation: While this is not a new trend, costs will continue to rise as time goes on.
- Cyber Crime: While not an industry trend at the moment, it could easily ruin a business or distract workers from being able to focus on their job.
- More Flexibility in Program Work: Workers will start to have more leverage when it comes to their jobs. Reducing zip code coverage, labor shortages, increasing costs, expectations and a strong economy will help the laborers gain more leverage in this industry and take the job back into their hands.
For more questions about restoration trends call SERVPRO of Bellevue West at 425-454-3900.
SERVPRO of Bellevue West Proudly Renews Their Chamber Membership
SERVPRO of Bellevue West Proudly Supports the Bellevue Chamber as a renewed member for 2019. Our SERVPRO team is thrilled to be involved with the Bellevue Chamber again: a wonderful organization supporting local businesses growth and development. We have immensely enjoyed participating in a multitude of events, keeping up to date on local news and making new connections.
The 4 main reasons SERVPRO of Bellevue West is involved in the local chamber:
- Local Visibility in our community
- Access and connections to other business partners
- Resources related to training (workshops, featured speakers and mentors offer a wealth of knowledge)
- Advocacy to learn about local politics
The chamber provides its members with a wonderful and strong voice in the community. The Bellevue Chamber is a leader in Eastside public policy discussions affecting the business community and is committed to ensuring that our members’ concerns are heard on a wide range of issues at the local, regional, state and federal levels of government. Local businesses know that the Chamber is championing business issues on their behalf and is very thankful to have this support.
Battling Mold Damage
Battling mold can be an arduous process if the correct steps aren't utilized from the beginning of the process. Remediation of the mildew, fungus and black mold the first time around can save a home or business owner worry, time and money.
SERVPRO of Bellevue West can properly assess what scope of work is necessary for your unique situation and oftentimes each job is different depending on source and severity.
Is it black mold? Could it possibly lead to dry rot? Does the smelly odor need deodorization or will it go away on its own? These are questions the general public doesn't typically have answers to. Oftentimes mold growth isn't visible; which is why it is important to consider the quality of your indoor air and to call in the professionals if you sense a strange odor.
Keep in mind; mold growth can spread and this condition could lead to dry rot. Dry rot occurs when the wood that supports the home or business starts to decay because of the extensive mold damage. This dry rot damage could lead to a potential rebuild of the dwelling in question which is why it is important to tackle a microbial situation as soon as possible.
Mitigation is the lessening of the damage seen with mold; this involves deodorization and sometimes demolition in an isolated area; each situation is unique. Visit http://www.SERVPRObellevuewest.com for more information on mold.