Wall Type Affects the Speed of Bellevue Flood Damage Cleanup
Flood Damage Remediation in Bellevue Is More Difficult in Homes with Cinder Blocks
Flooding is a persistent problem in the notoriously rainy Northwest, and the Bellevue area is no exception. As a result, residents are sometimes faced with the difficulties of cleaning up flood damage. Unfortunately, the associated drying process can be significantly impacted by the building materials used to construct your home’s walls.
SERVPRO understands the particular troubles involved in effectively remediating flood damage in Bellevue homes with cinder block walls. Block walls can seriously complicate work such as biohazard remediation, basement flooding cleanup, water removal services, and water damage repairs. With that said, our highly-skilled technicians know the various issues that can slow the restoration process and can address them properly. Some of the particular situations they have encountered that hinder the drying process in cinder blocks are:
- Old block walls that have absorbed considerable amounts of environmental moisture over the course of several years or even decades
- Long-standing floodwaters that have had time to permeate the cells of cinder block structural elements thoroughly
- Blocks covered in semi-gloss or gloss paint that has trapped flood-related moisture within walls and made standard drying techniques ineffective.
- Fiberglass, foam, cellulosic, or vermiculite insulation-filled block walls are slow to remediate because internal dry air circulation is difficult to maintain at levels necessary to return their moisture readings to normal.
- Walls will concrete bond beams that slow or otherwise alter airflow within block cavities.
SERVPRO solves most of these particular problems simply by drilling holes in a mortar joint near the base of impacted walls, using non-penetrating moisture meters to determine when drying is complete, and later patching up the drilled holes.
Considering all of this, remember to contact SERVPRO of Bellevue West at (425) 454-3900 when you need specialty flood damage assistance. We are always ready to answer your call.