Storms in Bellevue Call for Prevention of Frozen Pipes and Ice Damming
SERVPRO is There to Assist with Water Damage Should You Have Issues with Frozen Piping or Ice Dams in Bellevue
Strong winds and drops in temperature are typical in Bellevue when the winter weather starts roaring in. As a homeowner or local property manager, you need to do whatever possible to protect your building from damage due to winter storm mayhem. Freezing pipes and ice dams are a concern for many homeowners, but SERVPRO wants you to know that they are preventable.
Nobody wants to have problems with frozen pipes or ice damming in Bellevue during a storm, so SERVPRO is offering some helpful tips to get ahead of any possible issues.
Frozen Pipe Prevention
Any water line can freeze given the right conditions, and burst pipes are something no homeowner wants to deal with. Extreme cold can leave your home vulnerable, so prevent frozen pipes from happening by:
- Open up bathroom and kitchen cabinets to circulate warm air around your piping
- If your garage has pipes, keep the garage door closed to help conserve heat
- Let a trickle of cold water drip from faucets that get water from exposed piping
- Should you be away from home, be sure that you keep the heat on and above 55° F
- Always insulate your crawl spaces, basement, and attics to protect pipes that are not climate controlled
Ice Dam Prevention
It is best to take action before the first snow or significant storm to ensure your roof remains in good condition. Icicles and ice dams form as snow melts, running down the roof, then refreezing at the edge. Because ice dam removal can be challenging, it is best to prevent them before they have a chance to form by:
- Close up any attic bypasses
- Manage the insulation level in the attic
- Add soffit and roof vents
Note: Climbing onto your roof can be dangerous, especially during the winter months. Always follow safety procedures and act with caution.
SERVPRO of Bellevue West has the staffing and equipment necessary to help you recover from water damage after frozen pipes burst or hidden water intrusion due to ice damming. Call us at (425) 454-3900 whenever you need assistance!