Keeping Your Attic and Crawl Space Healthy
Living in the Pacific Northwest has its share of positives and negatives; beautiful scenery and all major seasons of the year. Unfortunately an excess of rain and clouds is part of our typical weather pattern. The damp weather that we’ve grown accustomed can be difficult to keep molds and fungus at bay, or what we call microbial growth. Attics and crawl spaces are the perfect incubator for these nasty microbes. Short of keeping a webcam in your attic (out of sight, out of mind) here are five recommendations to keeping your attic microbial growth free.
- Water intrusion from a leaking roof is a common cause of microbial growth. Confirm your roof is tight and leak proof by having it inspected by a professional.
- The bathroom ventilation, in some homes, exit by way of the attic and through the roof. Make sure that ductwork is sealed, secure, and continuous. If not, warm moist air will blow directly into your attic and can cause unwanted visitors.
- A well-insulated attic stops moisture from escaping your house and entering your attic. It also helps with your home’s energy costs. Is your attic insulated?
- Air ventilation is essential; it makes for a cooler attic in the Summer but also reduces moisture and heat buildup. Air from outside enters the attic by way of soffit vents (under the eaves) and exits through turtle vents (at top of roof). These should be kept clear.
- Is it mold, or is it dirt? Not everything is mold, and for that matter, the scary and often misconceived “black mold.” Proper testing is the only way to know for sure what kind of growth you’re dealing with. Don’t get too worried, but if you have concerns, call a professional.
Microbial growth causes silent destruction in our attics and crawlspaces: wood rot, ruined drywall, and overall structural deterioration. If you discover an issue and feel there’s more than meets the eye, contact a company with experience such as SERVPRO of Bellevue West. It’s crucial to remove microbial growth adequately but also understand where the problem began in the first place. Count on our team to help you keep your attics and crawlspaces clean and healthy.