5 Tips For Mold Prevention in Your Kitchen
Abundant plumbing and cooking-related moisture can increase the availability of moist spaces for mold to easily grow. Check out our following list of tips to avoid mold in you kitchen;
- Actively check for and repair leaks. Leaking sinks and pipes create new moist areas for mold to easily grow in. It’s important to ensure that leaks are repaired as soon as possible. It is ideal to schedule seasonal maintenance checks to make sure that there are no hidden leaks or damaged, leak-prone pipes in the property.
- Check cabinets. Kitchen cabinets that house or are found in proximity of main pipes are likely to entrap moisture. This is true especially if they are made of moisture-absorbing material, like unsealed wood. We recommend having a plumbing professional evaluate whether the location of pipes and the material of kitchen cabinets are adequate for your kitchen.
- Check the garbage disposal. Older and faulty garbage disposal systems will often fail to allow wet food scraps to be properly flushed and disposed. The garbage disposal then becomes a dark, wet, and organic material-filled space for mold to grow in. Repairing a broken garbage disposal as soon as it exhibits issues can prevent mold.
- Seal permeable surfaces. Countertops and cabinets usually take up the majority of the space in the kitchen. Some materials are prone to absorbing moisture more easily than others. Choosing materials for your countertops and cabinets is an important process and our experts find that wooden countertops have been known to rot due to lingering moisture. This can be prevented by regularly sealing the countertops. Following the suggested procedures and checkups is the best way to avoid wear and tear in the long run.
- Bonus Tip. Remind residents that cleanliness should always be a priority when it comes to the kitchen. Making sure that dirty dishes, food scraps and food in general are not left out will decrease the likelihood of mold to grow on organic material. Spills - especially underneath and behind fixtures and countertops - should be cleaned up promptly. Food should be always stored mindfully.
Mold preventative maintenance is a serious issue as mold can grow rapidly when it is not addressed immediately. If you think you may have mold in your property call SERVPRO of Bellevue West at 425-454-3900 or visit our website for resources at www.SERVPRObellevuewest.com .